The Demerit: Another School Story
So, it happened. The dreaded day of days, which happens to be April 1st. Three of my dear friends and I had planned the day before to dress up as each other for April Fools Day. I was Fiona, Fiona was Annie, Annie was Vesper, and Vesper was me. Remember the scorekeeper from the last blog post? Yep, that's Vesper! I later learned it was a mistake to tell my most charismatic, hilarious, and talented friend to act as me. (Yes, she wrote that last bit).
The day began as usual. Only, it was not usual at all because we were wearing each other's clothes and began introducing ourselves as the other, confusing the whole school. It was fantastic! The first lesson, Latin, was full of crazy unrealistic impressions of me by Vesper. She kept saying "oh my goodness, there is ink on my fingers!" and randomly bursting into tears. As if I would ever do that! The next hour we had study hall, which is where things took a turn for the worse.
We all began impersonating each other, and it was chaotic. For some reason, the courtesy of being quiet while another lesson is going on in the next room was forgotten by us all, but especially me.
Both of me.
It went something like this:
Vesper (as me): *giggles into scarf*
Naomi: Hey... do I really do that?
Everyone: Uh, yeah!
[They are, in fact, wrong]
Vesper (as me): I know that some day I shall be a bestselling author and you all shall be maids in my house!
Naomi: Pardon? I would never say that!
Vesper: *More giggling* Yes, I would!
Naomi: *Sighs* Okay, now I am going to work on my blog!
*silence for 1 minute*
Josiah (to Vesper): Even your mannerisms are like Naomi.
Naomi: DO I REALLY ACT LIKE THAT?
Vesper: Of course I do!
Naomi (in her head): This was a mistake.
Vesper: *giggles into scarf 11.3 times*
Marshal: You know, I never thought Naomi was annoying until now.
And then, Josiah came bearing the terrible news. The teacher apparently had some "lemerics" (demerits) to give out to us. I gasped.
Naomi (me): You don't think... I'll get one?
Josiah: Well, you broke a rule by being very loud. You may get one.
If you remember the last blog post where I said "I fully expected a demerit, something I dreaded because I have kept a clean record my entire high school life, and if I received a demerit the end of senior year I will never forgive myself..." Well, that was yesterday. Today, it happened. I have been the only one in the whole school with 0 dermits... but everything changed today.
We didn't know who received the lemerics until after class. We found the teacher and asked him to whom he gave the dermits.
"Marshal, Vesper... oh, and Naomi!"
The room went very still at the last word. Naomi? A dermerit? A lemeric? But, how could this possibly be?
"NOOOOOOOOOO!" cried Vesper (as me). She threw herself on the floor and wailed violently.
"But, Vesper, you have had lemerics before! How could this one be so terrible?" Teacher asked.
"You see," she sniffled, "I am Naomi Jones, and I have never had a dermit."
I looked upon her in sorrow.
"It is I who should be as sorrowful as thee," I proclaimed, "for the demerit is mine alone."
"True," Teacher shrugged. "Sorry, you cannot take the demerit for Naomi."
"BUT I AM NAOMI!" Vesper sobbed.
Not only was I humiliated by the scary impression of me which followed me around all day, I was furthur put to shame with the demerit. And it was all because of our April Fool's prank. The moral is always be yourself. Technically, I never recieved the dermit because I was not myself, and because I was not myself I received a demerit. So just be yourself, and this will never happen.
![]() |
| In order: Vesper (played by Annie), Annie (played by Fiona), Naomi (played by Vesper), Fiona (played by Naomi). |
- Naomi x

.jpg)
The tale is not terribly exaggerated. You misspelt exaggerated by the way.
ReplyDeleteThanks Josiah. Wonderful writing by the way,I truly liked it! Though you tried to not get a demerit, you got one anyway. You could be the only kid in the who gets one demerit in the school though.....
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Annie!!! I am so glad you like it! I will try, but I'll probably get another one LOL
DeleteI had no demerits.
ReplyDeleteAh, of course! You are the true no demerit winner
Delete